Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Starting Them Young


My 9-year old daughter was with me in the clinic yesterday since their class hours were shortened. It was "report card day" in their school.

I was talking to the secretary about a free medical clinic on
Saturday when my daughter announced that if I was going to a free medical clinic this weekend, then she would also join their Feeding Program on Saturday. Of course, I was very pleased to hear that my kid involves herself in community service work. Saturdays were supposed to be for playing, malling or surfing the web. I asked her what they were going to do in that activity and she said that the volunteers will be assigned to cook a meal for a group of pre-school children in one of the depressed areas here in the city. Others will be assigned to set the table, etc. It's supposed to be a half-day activity.

I encouraged her to join the Feeding Program in their school even if some of her friends will not join. This is not the first time that the school initiated such program for the less-privileged children. The school should be commended for integrating volunteerism and community service in their school programs and I know these activities will surely steer my child into becoming a compassionate adult.

Show our children that it is "cool" to care for others - community service and volunteerism is the answer! We should them that it is just as wonderful to give as it is to receive. :)

3 comments:

unbound / shuttershy said...

aawwww.. that's so nice of her. keep it up, dai. you're doing a good job.

BLOG SulthanYusuf said...

hi there...nice to know you
Thanks for info

scribbler said...

@unbound -- thanks! they'll cook chicken tinola for the children tomorrow... :)

@ Blog SultanYusuf - thanks for dropping by